From a variety of fried chicken recipes, there isn’t much that can match the taste of southern fried chicken by Sylvia’s soul ala Tourne Cooking. Made from simple ingredients, Sylvia’s fried chicken recipe is no less delicious than those famous spices fried chicken. Wrapped with crispy skin, it makes anyone can’t stand the temptation.
The main keys of cooking fried chicken are spices and oil. Therefore, you should pay attention and choose the best ingredients. Along with this Sylvia’s soul food recipes, it will be described the various types of ingredients to craft the magical taste of southern fried chicken.
- 3½ pounds of chicken, divided by 8
- ¼ teaspoon of shredded paprika
- 2 cups (approx. 470ml) of strained flour
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ cup (60ml) of corn / vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons of each salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Mix garlic powder, salt and pepper in a sealed-in plastic bag, thoroughly shake.
- Prepare the chicken. Lay it in a tray and make sure it covers the whole surface.
- Scatter the powder mix over the chicken and let it seep for about 20 minutes (for a maximum result, refrigerated overnight is also highly suggested).
- Again, in a plastic bag, mix the paprika, flour, and black pepper.
- Take out the spiced chicken and dip it in the plastic bag along with the paprika mix.
- Take out a skillet and preheat it with oil over high heat.
- Shake the plastic bag thoroughly until the mix is spread evenly.
- Turn down the heat to medium and pour in the chicken. Cook for around 10 minutes.
- Flip the chicken upside down and give another 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and scoop the chicken out.
- Drain the excessive oil from chicken using paper towel.
- Serve it alongside ketchup and mustard.
That’s the perfect fried chicken that was taken straight from Sylvia’s family soul food cookbook recipes. Make sure you drain the oil from the chicken properly without messing the crispness of chicken skin. Just enjoy your day by cooking Sylvia’s soul food recipes.